Skip to main content

DVLA Refusal to Update V5

 Now with over a 1000 miles done on electric, and over 6 months of to and fro, the DVLA are still refusing to update my V5 to electric and change the tax classification. Their reasoning in the VERA act, below, they have taken this to mean that on post 2001 vehicles the fuel type and tax classification cannot be changed.


This is despite the DVLA website (https://www.gov.uk/change-vehicle-details-registration-certificate) making no reference to been unable to make the changes.

LPG conversions, changes to disabled classification and conversions to a camper-van are all possible.

Here's another part of the VERA act.

The purpose of this post is to document my experience with the DVLA, so back in August 2021, the 2nd to be exact, I filled out my V5 to change the fuel type to electric and tax class to electric. On the 14th of October I was asked to provide more details, receipts, photos etc. 
I was also asked to fill out a V627/1 built up vehicle report.
Below is the first letter I received.


 Unfortunately I've mis-placed the response, but it was basically the same as a later response, essentially stating it wasn't possible. So I wrote to my MP, below is their response to my MP.

  

Mid December I received the letter below, which gave me cause for (short lived) celebration.


The very next day a second letter arrived to kill the celebration.


I've spoken to other converts that are in the same position, and other's that have made it though the other side and are now driving post 2001 conversions, VED free, and with the V5 stating electric.

My situation remains the same, although almost a month ago, I sent my V5 in again to give it another shot, can't hurt, right? I've also responded to my MP with example number plates and statement to go back to the DVLA. 
I've emailed Grant Shapps (currently SoS for transport) with no response as of yet. I've emailed OZEV for clarification and also submitted a FOI request with the DVLA for information on the number of post 2001 vehicles that have had their fuel type changed to electric.






Comments

  1. Excuse me for seeming ignorant or stupid? But couldn't you just continue taxing it and keep using it on the road anyway? It's all they seem to be saying? Or do like stu says and modify the bulkhead in a small way 😄👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what the DVLA have said, and that's what I am doing at the moment. My issue is that I'm obsessive and the V5 fuel type doesn't match the actual fuel type. Not a big issue at the moment, but if ULEZ type restrictions are rolled out locally, I'm snaffled.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

DVLA Inspection

I decided to try get the DVLA to update the V5 to electric for the 4th or 5th time, but this time I was told I'd need an inspection before the change could be made. The inspection was by a 3rd party company.  The guy turned up and took a load of photos, looking for the changes I'd made, and tallying up the points against the points system they use to decide if it's radically altered or not. Your vehicle must have 8 or more points from the table below if you want to keep the original registration number. 5 of these points must come from having the original or new and unmodified chassis, monocoque bodyshell or frame. Part Points Chassis, monocoque bodyshell (body and chassis as one unit) or frame - original or new and unmodified (direct from manufacturer) 5 Suspension (front and back) - original 2 Axles (both) - original 2 Transmission - original 2 Steering assembly - original 2 Engine - original 1 Given that I had the original gearbox, suspension, steering assembly and only

Golf GTE Battery Disassembly

Having deliberated over battery pack options, I was convinced I would go for a pack from a BMW plug in hybrid or the Outlander PHEV, but a pack from a Golf GTE popped up on eBay for £500 delivered, which was too good to let pass by, at 8.8kwh it works out at £57 per kilowatt hour, a bargain. Tearing it down wasn't the easiest task, and with 350v - 400v under there, a little nerve wracking. The lid was glued down with some serious adhesive. The pack consists of 4 modules, each module is 2 strings of 12 cells, with a cooling plate between them for liquid cooling. Each of the 12 cells has a BMS slave board, which reports the voltage of cell cell to the BMS master, along with the temperature of the string. Each module can store just over 2 kwhs. The modules communicate with the master via a CAN Bus network that's internal to the battery. I've put up a GitHub repo with a DBC file for interpreting the reported frames https://github.com/jamiejones85/DBC-files if you are looking at